Thursday, July 18, 2013

Confessions of a Bookworm - more book recommendations

It's been a long time since I've done a bookworm post! I've read quite a few books in the past few months, but somehow I forgot to let you know what I thought of them. DISCLAIMER: I read a lot, and you would think I'd be better at writing down my thoughts, but I'm not. I have such a hard time capturing exactly what I want to say, and I'm afraid I don't do these books justice. Read the real descriptions of each book, and you'll get a better idea of how good they are. Because they really are great! Anyways, I'll just tell you about a few favorites for now:

Women of Genesis Series by Orson Scott Card



First off it's well known that Orson Scott Card is a phenomenal author. So I went in with the assumption that this series would be wonderful. Well these books met and surpassed my expectations! I loved this series. Although I loved reading the Old testament, and am very familiar with the lives of Abraham, Jacob, and their descendants, it was a very neat experience to gain a new perspective on the Old Testament. Now this series is fiction, but it is based on the Old Testament. I just loved getting a taste of what it may have been like to be the wife of these great prophets. Sarah was my favorite to read about. Who will yours be? If you have read these books/do read them, let me know which you enjoyed most. I can't wait for the 4th book "Wives of Israel" to come out!


Austenland and Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale



If you haven't read my "FIVE" blog post you may not realize that I am super obsessed with Jane Austen, Recency Period books, the Victorian Era, and all the spin-off novels that have been written about Jane Austen/her time period. Both of these books are perfect for you fellow Jane Austen lovers. Shannon Hale has a delightful style of writing, and her characters are super relatable. You just feel like you're friends with these gals after reading the book. Both books are about modern day women who long to experience an Austen-esque romance. To satisfy their Austen inspired dreams, they both travel to "Pembrook Park", a Jane Austen themed vacation spot. Romance, mystery, and action ensues. I recommend reading both! "Austenland" is a bit more like Pride and Prejudice, and is very sweet. I've most recently read "Midnight in Austenland"and I love how Shannon Hale throws mystery and intrigue into the typical Austen romance. I don't know how best to convince you to read these, but you really should! Especially if you're a romantic. They're both cute, and clean. And "Austenland" is being made into a movie! I will definitely be seeing it, and you are free to join me!


Mr. Darcy's Diary and Dear Mr. Darcy by Amanda Grange



I warned you I was obsessed with Jane Austen/spin-off novels! Amanda Grange is a very fun author, and I enjoyed both perspectives into the classic "Pride and Prejudice". "Mr. Darcy's Diary" is... you guessed it, written as if Mr. Darcy was writing in his personal diary as he meets/falls in love with Miss Elizabeth Bennet. I loved it because you gain some more detail on Mr. Darcy's background, and it goes a bit past the traditional movie ending for Pride and Prejudice. I will say, if I had to chose between "Mr. Darcy's Diary" and "Dear Mr. Darcy" I would definitely pick "Dear Mr. Darcy", and here's why: it's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice. (forgive me for I skipping the quotation marks, they were starting to bug me). Anyways, the story is retold through a series of letters between all the characters from the classic story! You read scheming plots sent between Mr. Wickham and Mrs. Younge, you hear Darcy's frustrations as he writes to his cousin Phillip. You see Elizabeth warm up to Darcy as she writes to her friend Susan Southerton. You get so many neat insights into the classic story! And again, this book gives lots of background and covers events that occur after Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding. Of all the Pride and Prejudice retellings I've read so far, "Dear Mr. Darcy" has been my favorite. 


Edenbrooke: A Proper Romance by Julianne Donaldson




Finally, I'll tell you about Edenbrooke. It's cheesy and romantic, and sort of predictable... there is a twist I didn't see coming though. I really enjoyed this book. Marianne, the heroine of this novel, is wonderful, and much like the heroines of Shannon Hale's books, I feel like she and I would have been good friends. (Ok now I'm getting super cheesy, but don't you ever feel like you're friends with your favorite characters?) Anyways, for those of you who like a good romance, this one is perfect. It's a quick read, it's exciting, and just a good book. 

Thanks for reading through my ramblings. I hope you give these books a chance, because they are excellent books. I've been told my opinion is not critical enough, and that I like too many books. But you know what? I read to enjoy, and I start each book expecting to like it. Most of the time I do! And if expect to enjoy these books, I know you won't be disappointed. Regardless, let me know what you think. And as always, I'm always looking for another book to read, so I'd love your advice on which book to pick up next! 


1 comment:

  1. I just saw a preview for Austenland. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete