Thursday, October 25, 2012

The End of our Single Lives - We're Engaged!


             Of course telling the proposal story is always so exciting and ours is no exception! We got engaged on the Del Norte Beach in Monterey California at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve... and yes I will give more details than that! 

              But first things first... buying the ring. So I had this huge fear of the day Clark would ask me to go ring shopping. I'm sorry, but I really really really don't like the idea of ring shopping together! I had always wanted my ring to be a surprise, and luckily, Clark felt the same way. After dropping me off at the airport one at the end of fall semester, Clark had a secret meeting with my roommates about the ring. I had become a little suspicious that we might get engaged soon, so I had totally discussed what types of rings I like and what I don't like, so they were fully prepared when the time came. Anyways, armed with information about cuts, halos, and pave diamonds Clark was prepared to go shopping!


             Clark had originally planned to purchase my ring around Valentine's Day, but it just so happened that his dad had an invitation to a jewelers market. So on Christms Eve Clark his dad, and his sister Lauren were off to San Francisco to buy a ring. They were hugely lucky and found the perfect ring. Seriously, it is everything I have ever dreamed of wanting in a wedding ring.  While they were waiting for the diamond to be placed in the setting and the ring to be sized they went to a small Mexican restaurant… and unfortunately both Clark and Laur got MAJOR food poisoning and were sick all Christmas. But they were such sweethearts and didn’t even care because they were so excited about the upcoming engagement! As soon as Clark had the ring, he called my dad and they planned to meet for breakfast in Vacaville (halfway between our home towns) on the 26th.
Where Clark and my Dad met for breakfast
            Clark was super nervous to meet with my dad, so on the way to the restaurant he listened to a book on tape called…. “You can Negotiate Anything”. Ha! I love it. Well apparently it worked, because Clark got permission!!! My dad promised to keep it a secret so the whole thing would be a total surprise. In fact, when he got home from meeting with Clark I asked him where he had gone and he told me he had an emergency patient that morning. I was not suspicious at ALL! And what’s funny is my Mom found out, who then told my sister, who told a cousin, who told aunts, who told my grandma… and my friends all knew about it too. So basically I was the only one who was completely in the dark. Thanks for that you sneakies..
           
            Anyways Clark and I spent some time with my family in Los Altos, and then we were off to Monterey for New Years with his family. Now Monterey is one of my favorite places along the California Coastline. I love it. It’s so beautiful and I love the small town authenticity it has. While in Monterey we stayed at his family’s beach house on Del Norte Beach. We rode those cool “car bikes” (I have no idea what they are called), we went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and we spent tons of time on the beach building sand castles and playing in the ocean. It was wonderful!

            Ok that’s probably enough background info and I’m sure you’re all dying to hear how it happened. So New Years Eve (Day) we went biking along the coast to Lover’s Point. For a while Clark and I got ahead of everyone and we were just having fun on our own. Little did I know, everyone had slowed down to give Clark and opportunity to propose then… but the time wasn’t right. Then we went and played on the beach for a couple hours. Clark and I went on a walk, and when we came back everyone kept asking how our walk was, and what we did… they thought he would propose then too! But Clark had other plans. He asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner or do something special on our own for New Years. I said it would be more fun if we hung out with his family and then we could go off on our own right before midnight.  So we went ice skating in Old Monterey, and walked through all the street parties going on for New Years. It was so fun! And it was funny to learn that Clark had the ring in his pocket, but he got nervous I would feel it so he put it in his mom’s purse. Anyways, we got back to their house, had a New Years Eve feast, and played Just Dance. Have I mentioned that I love his family? It was such a blast, and they are all so great and I’ve always felt like I belonged in their family. Well they think so too.  Anyways, about a half hour before midnight, Clark asked if I wanted to go for a walk on the beach……

Del Norte Beach
Riding those cool "car bikes"
Lover's Point
            

                 We walked down to the sand dunes, and as we were walking we talked about how wonderful the past year was, how much fun we had as a couple, and we even talked about how miraculous our meeting was! You would think I would have realized that he was gearing up for some big question about our relationship… yep I still had no clue. After a while we reached a high place on the dune with a perfect view of Old Monterey and the ocean. It was breathtaking. The moon was full so the beach and the harbor were perfectly lit. We could see the Christmas lights from Old Monterey, as well as the stars, reflecting on the calm clear ocean.  Once we reached this spot, Clark asked to see my phone. He started playing, “Cant’ Take My Eyes Off You” (Remember our dance to this earlier? if not read my post about dating him!!!), and we slow danced on the beach. Now this is when my heart started to pound and I started to get curious. But I was still in total denial! It was so sweet and so romantic, Clark was even singing along to the song. Adorable. And he timed it perfectly! The song ended exactly at midnight, and BAM fireworks went off in Monterey! After admiring them for a minute, Clark got down on his knee… and asked me if I would make his dreams come true and marry him. Wait… What?!?! I was SHOCKED! I guess I was so surprised that I didn’t say anything for a couple seconds, but jeez, as soon as I realized that he was really proposing I couldn’t say “YES!” enough times! We twirled, jumped, screamed, and just danced around like goofs we were so happy. IT was the perfect proposal. After we had celebrated on our own we giddily made our way back to the beach house to share the news with our family. We were greeted with the loudest, happiest mob I’d ever seen. One of our cousins even said they were louder when we came in than at midnight when the ball dropped! It was a blast. And that my friends is how Clark and I got engaged.




My Beautiful Ring!













           

No comments:

Post a Comment