Friday, December 13, 2013

Our Scrapbook Christmas Tree {And a Tutorial for Homemade Star Ornaments}


We got our first Christmas tree! I am so so so excited about it. Everyday when we come home, that yummy pine tree smell fills the air. And when we turn on the Christmas lights every night our little apartment transforms into a snuggly home! I've decided Christmas trees really are magic. We got our tree from Smiths at 11 at night, because I couldn't wait one more second without making our apartment look like Christmas. Even though we won't actually be in Utah for Christmas, I wanted our apartment to have some cheer. Especially cause finals are such beasts this year. 


^Last year's tree (tiny), and this year's tree!^

Another reason why I am SO excited about our Christmas tree is... I made all the ornaments! Shelley taught me how to make them when we visited Danville over Thanksgiving break. So here's my tutorial on how to make those darling ornaments: 




Supplies: scrapbook paper, hot glue, scissors, twine/string
  1. Cut some cute scrapbook paper into squares. We used 9- and 5-inch squares ( 9" for the top big star). 
  2. Fold the square in half hamburger style, then in half hot dog style so your square is now divided into 4 sections. 
  3. Fold  your star in half diagonally in one direction, and again in the other direction. 
  4. Take a ruler and draw a line on each of the 4 sections (NOT the lines made by diagonal folds) about 1" down on the 5" stars, or 2" down on the 9" stars. 
  5. Cut the line you drew. 
  6. Fold the corners along the cut into the folds created by the diagonal lines (diagonal lines = your center line to fold towards).
  7. Fold one of the flaps over the other flap and seal with hot glue. Do this around the whole star - be sure to fold in the same direction each time. 
  8. Repeat! 
  9. Once you have two half stars you can either glue them so you have a 3D star (you glue the backs of each star together).                                                                                                         Or you can cut the points off one star and glue them onto the other star like I did!
And that's how you make the Christmas star ornaments!

P.s. - please comment if you have questions, sorry I'm not the best at explaining!





4 comments:

  1. Your tree is so festive! I'm glad you decided to give into the need for a little Christmas. It never hurts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Patti! And I'm so happy you like our tree!

      Delete